December 10, 2011

Happiness through Helping

Mostly every night, I usually eat in Auntie Cristy's house. It's like her reward for me in helping her do some basic household chores. She's really a blessing! I'm able to save my money because of her.

Her generosity didn't stop there. Tomorrow she and some of our brethren will be going to Bigbiga to visit the newly erected Church building there. She was happy and excited, eager to see the product of her service to the Lord. I think she started helping the congregation in that place 1 year ago. After receiving money from work, she would allocate a portion of it and give it to that congregation. She gave financial assistance in the creation of the foundation of the building, tiles for the floor, and the materials used for the roof. Since she was a tailor, she made curtains, sit and table covers for them.

She wasn't rich. She's even a senior citizen who works to support herself. But still, she managed to help. I remembered the young boy who gave 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish in Luke 6. He helped not because he wanted to be acknowledged or to be famous. He helped because he has willing to share something.

She always tells me, helping others is her service to God. The joy in her face this evening is really fascinating. Before I went home, she added:

"When you help, you shouldn't expect something in return. Helping others is happiness itself. I hope you could be like me when you grow up."

I really hope so. She's worth emulating.
"Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." Philippians 2:4 [NASB]
It's time to help others! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.. :D